Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Who’s My Daddy?

To a man that taught me how to crawl before I run…

How to lead with my heart, then my mind…

How to add, subtract, multiple and divide…

How to hug, laugh, scream and cry…

How to swing a bat, make a foul shot and run a mile…

How to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over…

How to be a giver, not a taker…

How to make love, war and eventually peace…

How to think for myself and (sometimes) listen to others…

Hot to be loyal, loving and loud…

How eat a slice of NY pizza, a bagel with lox, a burger with French fries and an infamous tuna melt…this recipe if for my daddy…

My dad has been watching his weight and eating healthier yet I know he’ll sneak in a tune melt every now again. The NY style tuna salad with tons of mayo, melted cheese on thick white bread is definitely a guilty pleasure. Not wanting him to give it up but wanting him to somehow change it into a healthier sin, I decided to create this recipe for my daddy…

An Asian Twisted Tuna Wrap

Dressing

  • ¼ Dijon mustard
  • ¼ apple cider vinegar
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice
  • 2 TBS fish sauce
  • 2 TBS soy sauce
  • 2 TBS Marin
  • 1 TBS agave
  • 1 TBS wasabi paste
  • 1 TBS fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 TBS GREEN ROASTED MINT, finely grounded
  • 3 TBS avocado oil

Tuna Fish Mixture

  • 3 - 6 oz cans of tuna, no salt / packed spring water
  • 3 TBS capers, drained
  • ¼ cup dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup silvered almonds
  • ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
  • salt & pepper to taste

Wrap

  • 4 cups Arugula
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 2 cups feta cheese
  • 4 large whole-wheat tortillas wraps

 

1.   In a food processor, pulse to combine Dijon, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, Marin, agave, wasabi paste, ginger and GREEN ROASTED MINT. While processor is pulsing, slowly pour in avocado oil until integrated. Set aside but keep in processor.

2.   Drain tuna fish. In a large bowl, mash tuna fish until chunks are completely separated. Mix in capers, cranberries and almonds. Pulse dressing for another 5-10 seconds. Fold dressing into tuna fish and combine. Sprinkle dill into tune fish and gently stir. Salt and pepper to taste.

3.   In a large skillet, heat 1 tortilla over medium-high for 1 minute flip and heat other side for another minute. Place tortilla between 2 paper towels and repeat with rest of tortillas.

4.   To assemble wrap, place heated tortillas on cutting board, evenly place avocado slices down the middle, Arugula, add tuna, sprinkle feta and top with tomatoes. Fold lengthwise over, fold widthwise in and wrap lengthwise, leaving an opening at one end. Serve with a pickle and baked sweet potato fries.

At times an emotional roller coaster, other times a happy man, all the time my daddy… In the words of my younger step-brother, Davis (named after my grandpa Dave), ‘he’s soooooo crazy’…Happy Father's Day Daddy...






1 comment:

  1. sounds so tasty! and makes me miss cooking with my dad. He's quite the weekend warrior chef.

    ReplyDelete