Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How I changed a bad habit into a daily healthy luxury (Part 1)


I started drinking coffee about 17 years ago in high school, when my friends and I used to hang out at Starbuck’s. Being so young, I didn’t really understand how coffee affected me, all I knew is that it woke me up. About 3 ½ years ago I started tuning into the way coffee made me feel. The more I focused on my coffee habit the more I realized that although coffee helped wake me up, it didn’t keep me awake or help me to focus. In doing some research I found that coffee has, on average, 150 milligrams of caffeine, which stimulates the beta waves (flight & fight) in your brain. Stimulating the beta waves will wake you up but won’t keep you going, which is why I would crash a couple hours after my first cup and would want another cup. I also realized that coffee made me feel irritable, bloated, dehydrated, jittery and although it might have immediately suppressed my appetite it actually made me hungrier as the caffeine wore off. Tune in next week to see how I weaned myself off coffee.

(photo from coffee_beans-oboerista.files.wordpress.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment